POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pole/zero plot [~50k] : Re: Pole/zero plot [~50k] Server Time
7 May 2024 15:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pole/zero plot [~50k]
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 14 Aug 2005 07:00:41
Message: <42ff2459$1@news.povray.org>
> Cool, i like filter design and this stuff, though i'm still at FIR-filters
> and haven't played with z-transforms yet.
> How does it sound? :)

With a fixed cutoff frequency... almost inaudable. But if you *sweep*
the cutoff frequency, it sounds mostly like a phaser.

FIR filters are much easier to design, and can give a more exact
frequency responce.

IIR filters are harder to design, and don't give quite such exact
frequency characteristics... but they run *much* faster! (For example,
the above filter requires 5 multiplies and 4 additions per sample to
filter a signal. A 5-point FIR couldn't possibly produce such a narrow
reject band.)

Anyway, I learned everything I know here:
http://www.dspguide.com/

Enjoy. ;-)